As successful as our NoSQL training day was at last year’s user conference, we’re even more excited for our next one. With the virtual format for our upcoming ScyllaDB Summit (January 12th to 14th), our training day will accommodate even more people from around the globe. We’ve got lots of great new courses. What’s more, it’s FREE for all ScyllaDB Summit registrants! Training will take place on Thursday, January 14th 2021, 8:30 AM – 11:30 AM, Pacific Standard Time (PST). Register now and mark your calendars!
Our speakers will cover familiar topics as well as updates and changes to the product. You can choose to follow one of two parallel tracks: The first for application developers and the second for database administrators. You are free to bounce back and forth between tracks and sessions as you see fit. The sessions will be held to the same schedule, so you won’t miss a minute of our great content.
Be sure to bring any questions you have to our live training, as we hope to make the sessions interactive and lively.
After each lesson there will be a quick quiz. Participants who complete all the quizzes will get a certificate, receive ScyllaDB swag and, most important of all, will be conferred special bragging rights.
Agenda and Schedule
|Time (PST)||Cloud/Developer Track||DBA Track|
|08:30 – 08:35am||Welcome and Intro to Training Day|
|08:35 – 09:25am||Getting Started with ScyllaDB (basic concepts, basic data modeling)||Kubernetes Operator|
|09:25 – 09:30am||Break|
|09:30 – 10:25am||How to Write Better Apps||Advanced Monitoring and Best Practices|
|10:25 – 10:30am||Break|
|10:30 – 11:25am||ScyllaDB Alternator: Migrations without Compromise||ScyllaDB Manager and Cluster Administration|
|11:25 – 11:30am||Wrap-up and Next Steps|
- Getting Started with ScyllaDB (Basic Concepts, Basic Data Modeling): This session will cover an introduction to ScyllaDB Architecture, basic concepts, and basic data modeling. Some of the topics covered include ScyllaDB Terminology, ScyllaDB Components, Data Replication, Consistency Level, ScyllaDB Write, Read paths + sstable, memtable, Basic Data modeling. Also I’ll show you a quick demo of how easy it is to spin up a cluster with docker.
- Kubernetes Operator: This session will cover our new and exciting K8 Operator for ScyllaDB. We’ll discuss why to use K8s and all its aspects such as pods and statefulsets, Plus learn about ScyllaDB Operator’s features and roadmap. Plus a quick example of how to use the Operator and discuss some best practices.
- How to Write Better Apps: In this class we will touch on Advanced Data Modeling and Data Types, ScyllaDB shard-aware drivers, Materialized Views, Global and Local Secondary Indexes and Compaction Strategies. We will also talk about tips and best practices for writing applications for ScyllaDB.
- Advanced Monitoring and Best Practices: This session will start with an overview of our ScyllaDB Monitoring Stack, which is your first resource for understanding what’s happening in your cluster and your application, and for getting alerts when something goes wrong. ScyllaDB exports thousands of different metrics. We will show how to use ScyllaDB Monitoring to make sense of all that data and provide a full picture of how well your hardware is set up and used, what is the current / historic state of the cluster and how well your app is written.
- ScyllaDB Alternator: Migrations without Compromise: Here we will share details of our Project Alternator DynamoDB-compatible API and how to migrate from Amazon DynamoDB to ScyllaDB, online and without any downtime. We will cover the considerations and strategies of making data migrations at scale.
- ScyllaDB Manager and Cluster Administration: This session will cover how to administer a ScyllaDB Cluster. Topics include: Adding/removing a node, adding/removing data centers, what are repairs and why are they needed, cluster backup (through ScyllaDB Manager), cluster restore options, ScyllaDB security settings, ScyllaDB Manager and how the new ScyllaDB Agent works.
Get Started in ScyllaDB University
It’s been an active year at ScyllaDB University. We’ve added lots of content, including new lessons on Lightweight Transactions, Monitoring, and Using ScyllaDB Drivers… to name just a few.
If you haven’t done so yet, we encourage you to sign up for our free courses at ScyllaDB University and get your bearings on ScyllaDB’s technology and capabilities. A good starting point would be the ScyllaDB Essentials and Mutant Monitoring courses.
Register for ScyllaDB Summit
If you love the training agenda, time to register for our conference! It’s online, it’s free, and it may just change your career.